This paste literally tastes like cinnamon rolls, but has no added sugars and is super good for you. Every time I am back in Norway I crave those good old Norwegian waffles, and after I made up the recipe for this paste I have always had it with my waffles! It is also great with pancakes and would probably be really nice swirled into ice cream or having a dollop on top of your porridge.
It is super creamy, sweet and fudgy and you will not believe that it is also healthy. Dates contain lots of essential vitamins and they are even higher in minerals like calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, making this paste a great alternative to sugary syrups and spreads.
- Refined sugar-free
- Naturally sweetened
- Great source of energy
- 1 cup / 250 ml soft pitted dates
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (Optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (Optional)
- If your dates are a bit hard, soak them in water for 30 minutes. (Using hot water speeds up the softening process, but they will not be raw anymore).
- Place the dates in a food processor along with the cinnamon and, if using, salt and vanilla extract.
- Pulse until it reaches the consistency of a thick paste. You might need some liquid to help it blend. I would recommend using a bit of the soaking water or your favourite nut mylk, or just plain water.
- Transfer to a nice little bowl or container and serve straight away or keep in the fridge until you need it.