I could marry potatoes. I have been eating them for as long as I can remember. They are a traditional staple in most Norwegian households, and growing up I had potato almost every single day. However, after getting into nutrition I realised that sweet potatoes are a lot better for you than white potatoes, so I now include them a lot more into my diet.
Lots of researchers point out the incredible health benefits of sweet potatoes. The famous nutrition speaker Dr. Greger also points out that coloured potatoes are what you should reach for. Read more about that here. The sweet potato is a powerhouse of vitamin A as well as providing almost the same amount of potassium that you get per 100 grams of banana. It also contains some vitamin C, calcium and magnesium, just to mention a few micro nutrients. Lastly, the sweet potato is high in fibre, which promotes a healthy gut and makes you feel satiated quicker and longer.
So with that in mind I have been making this potato salad lately. It is so, so good and nutritious. It is also a great thing to meal prep and bring with you for lunch. My recipe is both oil-free and nut-free, so it is rather low in calories as well. There is no need to add all that fat to this recipe, because it is already super creamy. I use sweet potatoes and purple potatoes for this, but you can use whichever potatoes you fancy.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium purple potatoes, cubed
- 349 g silken tofu
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 pickled gherkins, finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup or 4 tbsp sweetcorn
- 1/4 cup or 4 tbsp peas
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1,5 tsp ground coriander
- 1,5 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 3 tsp dill
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Chili flakes to garnish
- A handful beans of choice (Optional)
- A handful chopped cabbage of choice (Optional)
- Put potatoes to steam.
- Whilst the potatoes are steaming, add the tofu, sriracha, lemon juice, garlic and spices to a food processor or blender and mix well.
- Transfer the tofu mix to a big bowl and stir in the chopped veggies. When the potatoes are tender, fold them in as well.
- Serve as is or sprinkle over some chili flakes. This is also when you can add some beans on top for some extra protein.